Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested Over Epstein Allegations

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested Over Epstein Allegations.webp

London, February 19 – Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the younger brother of King Charles III, was arrested by UK police on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office following damaging allegations regarding his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

The King issued a statement from Buckingham Palace to express his “deepest concern,” stressing that “the law must take its course.”

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and the suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King’s statement reads.

“What follows is the full, fair, and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation.”

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,” he said.

Andrew was arrested from the King’s Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where he had been residing after moving out of the Royal Lodge on the British monarch’s Windsor Castle estate.

Thames Valley Police said they are conducting searches at addresses associated with the former prince in Berkshire and Norfolk, while he remains in police custody.

While the force said they would not be naming the arrested man, it soon became clear that the arrested suspect was Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday.

As Duke of York, Andrew had served as the UK’s trade envoy between 2001 and 2011, travelling globally and having privileged access to senior government and business contacts around the world.

According to the Epstein emails released, Andrew was accused of forwarding government reports from official visits to the American sex offender and financier, who died in a New York prison in August 2019.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” said Oliver Wright, Assistant Chief Constable of Thames Valley Police.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” he said.

In UK law, an arrest requires police to have reasonable grounds to suspect a crime has taken place and reasonable grounds for believing that it is necessary to arrest the person in question.

Earlier, when asked about the allegations against Andrew during his time as a former trade envoy in the then government’s Department of Business over a decade ago, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer told the BBC that no individual is above the law.

“Anybody who has any information should testify. So, whether it’s Andrew or anybody else, anybody who has got relevant information should come forward to whatever the relevant body is, in this particular case, we’re talking about Epstein, but there are plenty of other cases,” said Starmer.

“Anybody who has got information relating to any aspect of violence against women and girls has, in my view, a duty to come forward, whoever they are.”

“One of the core principles in our system is that everybody is equal under the law, and nobody is above the law, and it is really important that is applied across the board.”

“That is the principle. It's a long-standing principle, it's a very important principle of our country, our society, and it applies, and it has to apply in this case, in the same way as it would apply in any other case,” he said.

The arrest follows a series of shocking allegations over the past few weeks as the Epstein files were released by the US Congress, with Buckingham Palace issuing an unprecedented statement earlier this month to say that it “stands ready” to support a police investigation into the conduct of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

“The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct,” the Palace said at the time.

“While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police we stand ready to support them as you would expect.”

“As was previously stated, Their Majesties’ [Charles and Camilla] thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse,” it stated.

This followed the 77-year-old monarch being heckled by members of the public during royal visits. Prince William and Kate Middleton's office had also been forced to issue a statement on behalf of the Prince and Princess of Wales as the royal circles came under mounting pressure over the issue.

“I can confirm the Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims,” Kensington Palace said at the time.

Andrew, who had been stripped of all his royal titles of Prince and Duke of York by the King last year, has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing.

“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court,” Thames Valley Police cautioned after the news of his arrest broke.
 
Tags Tags
andrew mountbatten-windsor berkshire buckingham palace epstein emails jeffrey epstein keir starmer king charles iii misconduct in public office norfolk police investigation royal family thames valley police trade envoy uk law uk police
Back
Top