Kharge Defends MLAs' Private Trip, Questions Permission Requirements

Kharge Defends MLAs' Private Trip, Questions Permission Requirements.webp

Bengaluru, February 17 – Karnataka Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Information Technology, and Biotechnology, Priyank Kharge, son of Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge, attempted to downplay the controversy surrounding the recent foreign trip of some Congress legislators amidst the ongoing power struggle.

He stated that similar foreign trips had been undertaken by legislators in the past, and that the question of whether permission was required for a private trip was a matter of debate.

Speaking to reporters in Bengaluru on Tuesday, Kharge said, "I don't know who has asked them not to go on the trip. There is no connection between this and the preparation of the state budget."

When asked about the legislators traveling together, Kharge reiterated that they had traveled together earlier, and that the media had not reported on this. "They had traveled together before. Even before that, they had traveled. The legislators would have directly met with the Chief Minister and presented their demands regarding their constituencies," he said.

He further asked, "Is there any rule that says a foreign trip should not be undertaken? Is it illegal? Is it unconstitutional? Or is permission from the high command required? No. Do they require the government's permission? It is not required."

"They have undertaken a private trip as friends. Why should there be any objection?" he added.

When asked about reports that Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar had allegedly called the legislators and asked them not to proceed with the trip, Kharge said, "How did you get this information? As far as I know, no one has called the legislators."

It is worth noting that amidst intensifying power-sharing tensions within the Congress government in Karnataka, a group of like-minded party MLAs, mostly belonging to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah's faction, is preparing to embark on a foreign tour, triggering fresh political debate, party sources said.

The development, which comes even after Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge advised the state leaders to avoid differences and move forward through consensus, has gained significance amidst the ongoing leadership tussle in Karnataka.

Sources said that around 27 Congress MLAs and members of the State Legislative Council had initially planned to join the tour to Australia and New Zealand.

The number was later reduced to about 20 state Congress MLAs, with six to seven MLCs also likely to join.

Despite the uncertainty, the group is scheduled to depart from Bengaluru on February 17 evening and is likely to return on March 1, according to Congress sources.

According to sources, the foreign tour is being planned to downplay statements on state leadership made by Deputy Chief Minister and State Congress President D.K. Shivakumar and his faction.
 
Tags Tags
australia bengaluru congress government congress party d.k. shivakumar foreign travel karnataka politics legislators mallikarjun kharge new zealand political debate power sharing (politics) priyank kharge state budget state legislative assembly
Back
Top