Land Acquisition Controversy: Zoramthanga Accuses ZPM of Irregularities

Land Acquisition Controversy: Zoramthanga Accuses ZPM of Irregularities.webp

Aizawl, February 16 Mizoram opposition leader Zoramthanga criticised the state government over a land deal at Lengpui on Monday, alleging that legal procedures were bypassed to expedite acquisition for compensation purposes.

After releasing the names of Mizo National Front (MNF) candidates for the upcoming Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC) elections, Zoramthanga described the high price paid for land near Lengpui airport to the Indian Air Force (IAF) as "truly astonishing."

He said the IAF had been looking to acquire land since the Congress and MNF tenures, which they had agreed to in principle.

However, the actual progress began on May 15 last year, when the present Zoram People's Movement (ZPM) administration issued a preliminary notification.

"The ZPM government initiated the acquisition process, but the revenue minister abruptly cancelled the mandatory Social Impact Assessment (SIA), claiming it was unnecessary. A state minister cannot simply override an Act of Parliament," he said.

Before the final notification was even issued, over Rs 188 crore had already been deposited into the Aizawl Deputy Commissioner's account, which was completely wrong, he said.

"They put the cart before the horse by depositing the money before the final notification was released. This is highly improper. They were in such a hurry to receive the funds that they bypassed legal procedures," Zoramthanga alleged, adding that it would be interesting to see how the ZPM defends this in court.

The land deal has escalated into a high-stakes standoff between the opposition MNF and Congress, and the ruling ZPM, following recent media reports.

The controversy centres on the Rs 187.90 crore paid by the state government to acquire private land for the IAF.

Earlier, the MNF and Congress had lodged separate complaints with the state Chief Vigilance Officer and CBI, seeking a federal inquiry into the alleged scam.

The opposition (MNF and Congress) alleged that two individuals, who were not the original landowners, received the bulk of the compensation.

They claimed that one person was paid Rs 70 crore and another over Rs 117.90 crore, while the original landowners allegedly received little to nothing.

The opposition parties further alleged that a process that legally takes years was "fast-tracked" in just 70 days.

The allegations included the waiver of the Social Impact Assessment (SIA) and the failure to notify village councils, both of which, they claimed, were mandatory under the Land Acquisition Act of 2013.

The ZPM government has denied wrongdoing and has blamed the previous MNF administration.

State Revenue Minister Lalchhanzova alleged that the previous MNF government tried to permanently sell the land to the IAF during 2019-2021, which would violate state land protection laws.
 
Tags Tags
aizawl aizawl municipal corporation compensation indian air force land acquisition land acquisition act of 2013 land dispute lengpui airport mizoram mnf (mizo national front) revenue minister lalchhanzova social impact assessment state government zoramthanga zpm (zoram people's movement)
Back
Top