Northeast Delhi Assault: Victim Dies, Investigation Continues

Northeast Delhi Assault: Victim Dies, Investigation Continues.webp

New Delhi, February 19 Two days after a 35-year-old man was shot dead while allegedly trying to rescue his teenage son from an assault in northeast Delhi's Nand Nagri area, no arrests have been made in the case so far, even as police continue to review CCTV footage and track suspects, an official said.

The victim, Mohammed Umar Din, was shot on Tuesday evening when he rushed to the scene after receiving a distress call from his 15-year-old son, who was allegedly being beaten up by a group of youths while returning home from tuition classes, he said.

Umar Din lived in Nand Nagri with his wife, five children, and elderly father. Family members said the incident has left them devastated, adding that the day of the incident coincided with his 17th wedding anniversary.

According to police, the teenager, who is a Class 10 student, had seen some boys allegedly assaulting his friends and intervened, following which the group allegedly turned on him. He then called his father for help.

When Umar Din and his wife Rabia reached the spot, an argument allegedly broke out. Eyewitnesses told police that one of the accused pulled out a pistol and fired multiple rounds, including shots in the air, before firing at Umar Din. Around four rounds were allegedly fired, one of which hit him in the chest.

Family members rushed him to Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) Hospital, where doctors declared him dead, police said.

Police are reviewing CCTV footage from nearby areas and questioning locals. Sources said some suspects have been identified, and one of the accused may be a juvenile.

Police said multiple teams are working to identify and apprehend the accused.
 
Tags Tags
assault cctv footage crime criminal investigation delhi distress call family dispute gtb hospital gunshot juvenile suspect nand nagri northeast delhi police investigation shooting suspect identification
Back
Top