Para Badminton Star Bhagat Sets Sights on Asian Games and LA 2028

Para Badminton Star Bhagat Sets Sights on Asian Games and LA 2028.webp

New Delhi, February 17 From missing the 2024 Paralympics due to a suspension imposed by the BWF to a triumphant return that rewrote badminton history, Pramod Bhagat's recent world title was less about the success itself and more about reclaiming his life, career, and lost trust.

Returning to action after serving an 18-month ban for violating the BWF's anti-doping regulations, Bhagat redeemed himself by winning his sixth SL3 singles gold at the Para World Championships.

This victory gave Bhagat his fourth consecutive singles world title, but the emotional significance far outweighed the achievement itself.

"I was banned for one and a half years. I missed the Paralympics. After that, I came back and became world champion again. So this medal is very important to me because I have experienced many difficult situations in this phase of my life," Bhagat told

The 37-year-old watched helplessly as the 2024 Paris Paralympics slipped away, a crushing blow for a player who had dominated his category for over a decade. For many, it could have been the end. But for Bhagat, it became a new beginning.

"I was determined that when I came back, I would stand out from the situation and continue my dominance," he said.

"All my matches were straightforward. None went to a crucial stage. That shows my mindset."

The SL3 category is for standing players with significant lower limb impairments.

Bhagat defeated Indonesia's Muhammad Al Imran 21-12, 21-18 in the final to claim the title.

His victory also made him the most decorated men's singles world champion in badminton history, surpassing Chinese Lin Dan's five world titles in able-bodied badminton.

However, Bhagat insisted that this milestone was secondary to proving himself again.

"After overcoming so many difficulties, to make a comeback like this is very important for me," he said.

"You start playing again with people you once looked up to. Achieving more than them gives you appreciation and motivation."

In the final, Bhagat relied on patience and control to subdue Imran, who had earlier defeated Paralympic champion Nitesh Kumar.

"He has energy and a new style, but there is a lack of patience," Bhagat explained. "That was the difference. I stayed calm and responded to him."

Bhagat later added a second gold, partnering with Sukant Kadam to win the men's doubles SL3-SL4 title, completing a golden double that underlined the completeness of his comeback.

Behind the medals lies months of quiet rebuilding in Pune under former Olympian Nikhil Kanetkar, focusing on rhythm, basics, and mental strength.

"He told me that I had already cracked this five times. You just need to get your rhythm right and train continuously," Bhagat said.

With his status restored, Bhagat has already turned his focus to the future.

"Our next target is the Asian Games in Japan and then the Paralympics in Los Angeles," he said.

"We will prepare well for both. We will discuss new techniques, experiment with some new strokes, and keep improving."

He believes that India's standing categories are entering a golden phase.

"In SL3, SL4, and SL6, India's dominance is good. New players are coming and performing well. The future of para badminton is very bright. As long as I am there, in my category, India will do the best," Bhagat said.

So, how will Bhagat celebrate? Well, not with parties.

"This time, I will go to my village. I will go to my family, friends, and all the villagers," he said.

"They were very upset about this ban. They had big hopes for Paris. I want to regain their hope and trust."

"I will try to move forward. And in 2028, I will try to live up to their trust," he concluded.
 
Tags Tags
anti-doping asian games badminton bwf doubles badminton indian badminton los angeles paralympics muhammad al imran nitesh kumar para badminton paralympics pramod bhagat sl3 singles sukant kadam world championships
Back
Top