
Karachi, February 19 Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) president Tariq Bugti has resigned from his position following the hotel incident during the national team's troubled tour of Australia earlier this month.
Bugti confirmed on Thursday that he had sent his resignation to the patron-in-chief of PHF, Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif.
"I have sent my resignation letter to the PM, but I urge him and Field Marshal Asim Munir to conduct an impartial inquiry into the entire incident that took place in Australia during the FIH Pro League," Bugti said.
The controversy began when a video surfaced on social media showing Pakistani players standing on the streets of Sydney with their luggage.
Soon after the video went viral, Pakistan hockey captain Shakeel Ammad Butt released another clip claiming that everything was fine and there were no problems regarding their stay.
However, a few days later after returning, Butt criticised the PHF at a press conference in Lahore and held the federation responsible for the mismanagement during the chaotic tour, claiming in another video that the team not only had to wander the streets due to lack of accommodation but also "had to wash dishes before playing a match."
He also claimed that nine players were yet to receive their daily allowances from the PSB and PHF for the last one year.
The players questioned why, despite the government having provided funds to the PHF for the team's participation in all three phases of the FIH Pro League, they had to suffer due to logistical blunders in Australia, where the second phase concluded earlier this week.
However, this criticism cost Butt dearly as Bugti imposed a two-year ban on the skipper for his outburst, saying he had brought disrepute to Pakistan hockey.
Bugti's resignation comes at a critical time for Pakistan hockey, with the PHF and the state-run Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) blaming each other for the fiasco.
Bugti said that the PSB handled all the arrangements for the Australia tour and was responsible for the disaster.
However, when asked about a cheque for over one million rupees that the PSB had sent to the PHF to cover hotel expenses, he declined to answer.
The head coach of the Pakistan team has also offered to resign, but said that some players were very indisciplined, including the captain Butt, who used abusive language against other players and it affected the team's performance in the FIH Pro League.
Pakistan has lost all its eight matches so far and is placed last in the nine-team competition.
Pakistan will travel to Egypt after four months to take part in the final qualifying tournament for the World Cup.




