
Jammu, February 22 Two Pakistani terrorists affiliated with the banned Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) outfit were killed on Sunday in an encounter with security forces in the Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir, officials said.
The bodies of both the slain terrorists were badly burned and unrecognizable, officials said, adding that preliminary assessments by security agencies suggest that one of the deceased is believed to be Saifullah, a notorious JeM commander.
He is believed to have infiltrated into Jammu and Kashmir nearly five years ago and has since been active in the region, allegedly masterminding several deadly attacks on security forces, including one in July 2024 that left four soldiers, including a captain, dead. He had also escaped several previous encounters.
Northern Army Commander Lt Gen Pratik Sharma complimented the troops of the White Knight Corps for their "swift and precise" action in neutralizing the two terrorists.
"The Army Commander commends the commanders and troops on the ground for their persistence in challenging terrain and weather conditions. The Northern Command remains committed to ensuring a terror-free Jammu and Kashmir," the army said in a post on X.
The terrorists were neutralized during the 'Trashi-I' operation in the general area of Passerkut in the Chatroo belt, and two AK-47 rifles along with other ammunition were recovered from them.
"Following credible intelligence inputs collated from the J-K Police, IB (Intelligence Bureau), and internal intelligence sources, a joint operation was launched in the Kishtwar region under operation Trashi-I to track and neutralize terrorists operating in the area," the Army's White Knight Corps said in a post on X.
"Following successful contact established earlier, troops of the CIF (Counter-Intelligence Force) Delta, in close coordination with police and CRPF, re-engaged the terrorists today at approximately 11 am in challenging terrain," the Army's White Knight Corps said in a post on X.
Displaying tactical precision, seamless synergy, and resolute aggression, the troops dominated the encounter site, where two terrorists were successfully neutralized, the Army said.
"The hunt continues – those who seek to disturb peace will find no sanctuary," it said.
Quoting preliminary information, the officials said the terrorists were found hiding inside a mud house on the foothills of a hill and opened fire on the approaching search parties, leading to an intense gunfight.
The mud house caught fire during the exchange of fire and was completely gutted.
Later, the charred bodies of the terrorists were recovered from the scene, and efforts are underway to identify them, the officials said, adding that intelligence inputs had previously suggested the presence of Saifullah and his associate, both Pakistani nationals.
The Chatroo forest belt has witnessed nearly half a dozen gunfights between terrorists and security forces since January 18, resulting in the killing of a soldier and a Pakistani terrorist. While the soldier lost his life on January 18, the terrorist was eliminated on February 4.
With the killing of two terrorists on Sunday, a total of six JeM terrorists have been eliminated by security forces in separate encounters in the Jammu region this year. Earlier, two terrorists were killed in Ramanagar forest in Udhampur on February 4, and one in Parhetar village of Kathua on January 23.
Meanwhile, a truck driver was detained for questioning after some Pakistani phone numbers were found on his mobile phone during a check at Pangdour chowk in Samba district late Saturday night.
The truck was on its way to Kashmir when the police stopped the vehicle at a checkpoint and noticed several Pakistani numbers on the driver's phone, the officials said, adding that further investigation is underway.