
Nashik, February 16 A complaint filed by a driver alleging that seven persons kidnapped and assaulted him over the robbery of ₹400 crore from a cash-carrying truck was false, and no such incident took place, the Nashik rural police in Maharashtra said on Monday, following a thorough investigation.
All seven persons arrested in the case have been released by the Igatpuri court here, and action is being considered against the truck driver for filing the false complaint, an official said.
The investigation began after truck driver Sandeep Patil told the Ghoti police here that he was waylaid, kidnapped, and assaulted on October 22 last year by seven persons who accused him of looting a truck carrying ₹400 crore worth of now-discontinued ₹2000 denomination notes, the official said.
Patil claimed he was assaulted in the Chorla Ghat area of the Belgaum district in neighbouring Karnataka by the seven, who fled soon after, following which police in that state were also alerted, the official added.
"He claimed the truck was transporting hawala money from Karnataka to Maharashtra. He had also uploaded videos on social media detailing his ordeal. We arrested seven persons for assaulting Patil. However, the investigation into the truck revealed inconsistencies in Patil's story, including the route, call records, and timing," the official informed.
The Igatpuri court has released all seven persons arrested by the Ghoti police, he said, adding that the Nashik rural police is considering the next steps regarding the false complaint.