
Mumbai, February 16 – The Mumbai Police has identified the man who opened fire at Rohit Shetty's house earlier this month. The man has been identified as Deepak Chandra.
According to a senior officer of the Mumbai Police, the accused, Deepak Chandra, who fired outside Rohit Shetty's house, is a resident of Uttar Pradesh. He is highly educated, but there is no criminal case against him so far. There are 4 to 5 people in the accused's family. To apprehend the accused shooter, the Mumbai Crime Branch had laid a long-term trap, checking CCTV footage and using digital footprints to track him down.
Since the night the firing took place, the Mumbai Crime Branch team was tracking the accused, and human intelligence also played an important role.
Earlier, the five accused involved in the Rohit Shetty firing case were slapped with the MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, 1999) after they were produced before the special court. The special court had remanded all the five accused in police custody after the Mumbai Crime Branch had sought a 15-day custody, but the court did not grant a 15-day custody and remanded him to police custody until February 17, 2026. The Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, 1999 (Mah. 30/1999) is a law enacted by the state of Maharashtra in India in 1999 to combat organized crime and terrorism.
The Mumbai Crime Branch said that the culprit, Subham Lonkar, wanted to spread terror in Mumbai and had told the arrested accused that he had to do something big in Mumbai. The arrested accused was in contact with the absconding accused, Subham Lonkar, through a single app, and Rs 40,000 was transferred to the account of one of the arrested accused by Subham Lonkar. A Mumbai Crime Branch official told the court that the absconding accused, Shubham Lonkar, had given three weapons to his brother, Praveen Lonkar, and that the weapon was given to the accused arrested in the Rohit Shetty firing case.
For those unfamiliar, five rounds of bullets were fired at filmmaker Rohit Shetty's Juhu residence. The investigation by the Mumbai Crime Branch revealed that the vehicle used in the firing was sourced from Pune.
The vehicle used in the firing belongs to a man from Pune, who sold it to Aditya Gayki, one of the arrested accused, for Rs 30,000 a few days ago. Later, Aditya Gayki and another accused, Samarth Pomaji, left the vehicle at a pre-decided location in the Juhu area of Mumbai. According to the Crime Branch, the people who bought the vehicle and reached Mumbai do not know who the shooter is. Later, it was Shubham Lonkar who ordered the shooter to pick up the vehicle from where it was left and fire.



