State Government Intensifies Crackdown on Illegal Mining in Meghalaya

State Government Intensifies Crackdown on Illegal Mining in Meghalaya.webp

Shillong, February 16 Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said on Monday that the judicial commission constituted to investigate the recent coal mine blast will not only examine the circumstances that led to the explosion but also identify any lapses by authorities or individuals and recommend administrative and institutional reforms to prevent such incidents from recurring.

Noting that 33 people died in the blast at an illegal coal mine in the Thangsku area in the East Jaintia Hills district on February 5, Sangma, in a statement in the assembly, said the judicial panel will also suggest rehabilitation measures for people dependent on coal mining and examine whether the state should seek constitutional exemptions or modifications to central mining laws under the provisions of the Sixth Schedule.

The chief minister said the government is committed to curbing illegal mining while promoting scientific mining practices, noting that three projects have already received approvals and 20 more proposals are at advanced stages of clearance with the Centre.

"The judicial commission will not only investigate the February 5 incident but also examine the broader issues surrounding illegal mining and propose long-term solutions, which will be presented to this House," Sangma said.

The CM said the crackdown on illegal coal mining has been intensified, with the mobilization of five enforcement teams, supported by gazetted officers, armed battalion personnel, and mining officials to conduct raids.

He informed the House that 62 FIRs related to illegal coal extraction have been filed so far, including 57 after the incident, along with five FIRs for illegal transportation of coal and two related to the seizure of explosives.

Authorities have seized 15,224.72 metric tonnes of coal and dismantled six cranes used in illegal mining operations, while six vehicles involved in illegal transportation have also been confiscated, he said, adding that drone surveillance has been intensified to monitor mining activities.

The chief minister said prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS were promulgated around mining areas in East Jaintia Hills to prevent obstruction of enforcement operations and deter illegal activities.

Sangma said a large-scale search and rescue operation involving multiple agencies was launched after the blast. While 18 bodies were found on the first day, four were recovered on February 6 and two on February 7. Several other injured persons succumbed later.

Relief measures have been initiated, with Rs 24 lakh disbursed to the next of kin of eight deceased persons so far, while the process of paying ex gratia to the other affected families is underway, the chief minister said.

The search and rescue operation was formally called off at 5 pm on February 9 after consultations with all agencies involved.

Sangma said a suo motu FIR was registered at the Khliehriat police station under sections of the BNS, MMDR Act, and Explosive Substances Act.

According to preliminary investigation, the blast was likely caused by the use of explosive substances during illegal mining operations, he said, adding that unstable underground conditions and the presence of machinery posed significant risks to both trapped miners and rescue personnel.

A special investigation team (SIT) headed by the DIG (Eastern Range) was constituted on February 12 to probe the incident, and seven persons have been arrested in connection with the case.

The state government has constituted a judicial inquiry commission under the Commission of Inquiry Act, 1952, headed by retired Justice R S Chauhan, with retired IPS officer H Nongpluh and retired IAS officer Peter Dkhar as members. The panel has been given six months to submit its report.
 
Tags Tags
bnss coal mine blast conrad k sangma east jaintia hills district ex gratia payments explosive substances act h nongpluh illegal mining judicial commission meghalaya mmdr act peter dkhar r s chauhan relief measures thangsku area
Back
Top