
Thrissur (Kerala), February 18 Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly, V.D. Satheesan, said on Wednesday that the Kerala High Court verdict on the Nava Kerala survey vindicated the Congress-led UDF's stand that taxpayer money was being used by the ruling government for election campaigns.
Satheesan described this as a "shameless act" and alleged that public funds were being sought to publicize the government's "so-called achievements" through Left Front activists and workers.
In a setback to the ruling CPI(M), the High Court on Tuesday overturned a government order sanctioning ₹20 crore for the Nava Kerala Citizen Response Programme, describing it as an "abuse of executive power" and a violation of the Rules of Business.
Satheesan alleged that the government was using public funds to erect hoardings across the state, claiming that it had transformed Kerala, despite the treasury being empty and the state facing severe fiscal stress.
Referring to the bail granted to Kandararu Rajeevaru, the tantri (chief priest) of the Sabarimala temple, in cases related to the alleged misappropriation of gold from the Lord Ayyappa shrine, Satheesan claimed that all the accused would soon secure bail, leaving no evidence against them.
He alleged that the Special Investigation Team (SIT) investigating the case had not collected all the evidence, and that the investigation would become "a joke" if all the accused were released on bail.
"That is the concern we raised in the Assembly," he said.
Rajeevaru had previously been granted bail by a vigilance court in Kollam in cases related to the alleged loss of gold from the Dwarapalaka (guardian deity) idols and the door frames of the Sreekovil (sanctum sanctorum).